Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"Help!" he cried.

I was walking my dog today when I noticed there was a man lying on the sidewalk ahead of me.  "Help!" he cried.  He had slipped on ice and seriously broken his ankle.  He was in such pain that we had to call the paramedics to stabilize his ankle and take him to the hospital to get set.

April is Counseling Awareness Month.  What better time to reflect on what counseling is and when to ask for help.  It can be difficult, sometimes scary to reach out to ask for help - not only with counseling but with other aspects of life, as well.  Our my chatter goes something like this:  ' I must be weak if I can't handle this myself' or 'It won't make a difference anyway' or 'I can handle it'. 

I'm here to tell you, a therapist is much like a paramedic.  You can find healing in a therapeutic setting.  You can learn new skills that will allow you to get through difficult times, both in the present and in the future.  You can find a safe place to tell your story and find some stability in whatever your struggle may be. 

Now is the time to ask yourself, 'Is this the time to reach out'?  Whether it's a therapist, a family member or a supportive friend, take the step to reach out and tell your story to find resolution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment